Friday 1 February 2013

Ushuaia

Up early again. Hope to return to my usual lethargic sleep-in soon. Well actually, waking up bright and chirpy is quite novel - I should try it when I get home.

Had a look around town and found a couple of Geochaches. Then after lunch I caught a glacier up to the ski area at 380m, where there is a chairlift. Ignoring that, I walked up along the creek, lined by Fagus trees as found in Tasmania (one of the clue to the previous existence of Gondwanaland). It starts snowing around 500m, then The trees and finally the grass recede to a shrapnel of rocks. The track is meant to end at the Glacier Martial, except it receded years ago, so only a tarn is left and a bit of snowdrift.

But I want glacier! So I skirt up snow drifts until it gets steep enough to warrant getting out the ice-axe. Now its getting fun. Through some rock bands, then more steep snow the ice axe sinking in, until it doesn't. And my boots don't press beyond the 5cm of fresh powder. Hard ice. I have not brought crampons. Plus I would soon be in the cloud and there are signs of senile crevasses, so at 1080m, it's time to head back. Glissading and practicing self-arrest with the axe gets me covered in snow and smiles.

Back at the boat the others have been busy packing sleds and food and medical kits. Without Ketamine, it's useless to me. Fortunately we have a GP and emergency physician, so I can remain on vacation.

Despite our remoteness, the food and beer is good and still cheaper than home.

2 comments:

  1. Wise choice not to push higher. Good narrative John; keep it coming if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm....chirpy in the morning when you return....this I have to see!!

    ReplyDelete